Maintenance & Sailing Log:  6/5/04

I looked forward to returning to the boat today to take care of some nagging maintenance issues and repairs.  First and foremost was a more sturdy, and hopefully longer-lasting, repair to the gooseneck which partial failure had so depressed me yesterday.  I also wanted to address my scupper issue:  the new scupper hoses I installed during the winter were not draining properly, which allowed rainwater to collect in the cockpit--and also prohibited me from leaving the scuppers open while under sail, lest water enter from heeling and then stay in the cockpit thereafter.  This problem became especially annoying when sailing in more exciting conditions, when spray collecting on deck--or water from dipping the rail--would enter the cockpit through the new deck scuppers, but would not drain.  It seems that I have spent an inordinate amount of time over the years fighting these scuppers and hoses, so I hoped to find a better solution once and for all.

Click here to go back and read all about the scuppers, hoses, and seacocks from the very beginning.
(Opens in a new window)

Just after 0800, I left the house and headed on a couple quick errands.  My first stop was at the local Napa, where I inquired about pre-formed radiator hoses.  I had eschewed these in the past because they are not as heavily reinforced as the hardwall, wire-reinforced hoses that I preferred, but enough was enough.  I had tried nine ways to Sunday to find hoses that would work in the ridiculously small, tight space beneath the cockpit, and I was sick of it.  I knew that no hardwall hose known to man would properly bend to fit the curves required, and further knew that softer hose would kink and be absolutely useless.

Flipping through the hose catalog at the store, complete with pictures, I found a couple different possibilities that looked like they might work.  What I was looking for was a short-ish hose that featured the type of "S" curve that I needed to transition between the cockpit scupper fitting and the nearby--but badly angled--seacock nipple.  I was prepared to buy a couple different shapes and find the best fit; my first choice was in stock at the local warehouse in Westbrook, but the other type was only available in Denver.  I had the store arrange to get the hoses from Westbrook; they promised they'd be in by noon.  Pleased, I drove just down the street to the hardware store, where I bought some 5/16" machine screws and a 5/16-18 tap for the gooseneck track.  The track was currently secured with 1/4-20 fasteners;  the only fix I could think of was to re-tap the existing holes with the larger threads and use the larger fasteners.  I didn't want to drill any more holes in the mast, and needed only something that would work for a few weeks while I tracked down a real fixed gooseneck.

Armed with my supplies for the gooseneck, but lacking my scupper hoses just yet, I headed to the boat.  It was a nice day; the winds were calm.  Out at the boat, I immediately set forth to repair the gooseneck, and succeeded--at least for the time being.

Click here to read a detailed discussion on the gooseneck--old, repaired, re-repaired, and, eventually, new.  

softairsail.jpg (37968 bytes)With the gooseneck repaired and seeming to be secure, I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and pleasant, soft breeze to go for a quick sail.  As much as I ached for a longer sail in a relaxing breeze (as opposed to the more exuberant breezes I had been out in so far this year), I definitely wanted to address the scupper hoses today, so I decided to keep the sail relatively short so that I could pick up my new hoses at Napa sometime close to noon.  I sailed off the mooring and enjoyed a lovely, relaxing sail, cruising slowly clockwise around Clapboard Island.  The wind was about 10 knots, the skies were clear and bright, and the bay was full of boats.  The relative lightness of the wind made for a low-stress test for my new gooseneck repair, and meant that even a simple circumnavigation of Clapboard took close to two hours--perfect.  I sailed into the mooring and, after flaking the main and cleaning up, headed to shore at about 1300 to pick up my hoses.

I was back on board at about 1400, and immediately got to work on my scuppers.  I really hoped that these hoses would be the charm.  Before removing any of the "old" hoses (they were only installed in January), I held one of the new curvy ones up to see if it was potentially a good fit.  It seemed to be the ticket, so I removed the port hose (after closing the seacock, of course).  I was amazed at the amount of water that the 2.5' length of hose held, which I poured into the bilge.

Click here to read about the new hoses, and their successful installation.  

Glissando, Pearson  Triton #381

We recommend viewing this site with your screen resolution set to 1024 x 768 or larger.  Problems?  Email the webmaster.

1999-2014 by Timothy C. Lackey.  All rights reserved.  No duplication of any portion of this website allowed without express permission.  Permission may be obtained by emailing the webmaster.