Winter 2008-2009 Refit | Sunday, January 11, 2009
Today I applied the first coat
of new beige nonskid paint. I used Interdeck beige.
I considered lightening the color, as I had done on a few
work projects of late, but in the end I decided that the
unmodified, darker beige better fit the character of my boat
and the canvas colors, and also more closely matched the
color I had had on deck for years and to which I was
accustomed. The old paint, both from the original
2000 and the first round of repainting in
2003 after a series of deck repairs, was
flattened-and-begritted Interlux Brightsides Bristol Beige.
(That was satisfactory, but I like Interdeck better; it
didn't exist when I first painted the boat, and was brand
new and untested in 2003.)
The process took a little
longer than I was used to because of all the obstructions I
was painting around in this case. I applied the paint using
3/16" nap mohair rollers in a variety of sizes, and a
bristle brush for the areas the roller wouldn't reach. I
planned to apply the second coat tomorrow.