Full log posted.
In what ought to be a familiar ritual to all, I
winterized the engine and water systems on board
today, and completed unloading whatever else needed
to be unloaded.
I had trouble
getting the engine to draw water (and later
antifreeze) from my bucket, forcing me to prime the
hose. When I disassembled the raw water pump
later for cleaning, inspection, and storage, I was
quite surprised to discover that the impeller--a new
Nitrile impeller that I'd installed in the
spring--had shed one blade completely, with a second
one hanging on by a thread. No wonder I
couldn't get it to self-prime. I found the
shed blade inside the outlet hose.
Taking advantage of a pleasant, wind-free late
afternoon, I installed the winter framework and
cover, and removed the batteries for storage.
The boat needs some cosmetic maintenance, but I knew
better than to even attempt varnish work and related
tasks in October. Better to wait till
spring...or, with luck, to sometime over the winter
when I might possibly find some time to slide her
into the shop for some much-needed cosmetic
attention. My poor boat hasn't been inside
since 2003, and she still hasn't completely
recovered from last year's summer of non-use.
She needs some attention and minor upgrades.
Here's the to-do list
(or to-buy/replace list) for this off-season, at
least so far.
1. New anchor
rode (to replace the one broken by Wanaka
during the cruise this year)
2. Replace masthead light
3. Lengthen the backstay
4. Buy new chart #13305
5. Replace, or otherwise troubleshoot, radar
6. Finally replace jibsheets with a single
length to eliminate annoying knots at cringle
7. Varnish, of course
8. I'd love to repaint the hull--probably not
this winter, but it's in the back of my mind.
9. The nonskid needs to be redone
10. A variety of sewing/canvas repair tasks
11. Replace lifelines
Continue to the
2008 Maintenance Log>>>